Thursday, July 26, 2007

Can't help it I'm addicted to orzo

Love that stuff! It's pasta shaped like rice...so cute and so versatile! I decided to liven up our oh so gourmet dinner of hot dogs and baked beans with an orzo salad. This recipe of Joelen's was my inspiration and I got my recipe for the dressing from allrecipes.com. Very tasty result! We will probably take the leftovers with us on a picnic this weekend when we go to watch an outdoor performance of Footloose. I can't wait. Tune in tomorrow to see the dessert I'm whipping up for this picnic. I'll leave you in suspense til then ;)



Orzo Salad with Balsamic Vinaigrette.

Salad:

1 1/2 cups orzo cooked (that's 1 1/2 cups before cooking)
chopped black olives (as much or as little as you like)
chopped celery (as much or as little as you like)
1 yellow pepper, chopped
1/2 bag of baby spinach
feta cheese (I used the tomato and basil kind)

You could also add tomato if you like them, I do not. Poor Tyler.

Cook orzo according to directions on the box. Let cool, then toss with black olives, celery, pepper, spinach, feta, and balsamic vinaigrette (recipe follows)

Balsamic Vinaigrette
  • 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
  • 1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
  • 1 clove garlic, crushed or to taste
  • 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
  • 1-1/4 teaspoons Dijon mustard
  • 1 pinch salt
  • 1 pinch freshly ground black pepper
  1. Combine the olive oil, vinegar, garlic, oregano, mustard, salt and pepper in a jar with a tight fitting lid. Shake well before serving. Store in the refrigerator.

1 comment:

Nirmala said...

I love orzo. Will have to try this recipe.