Broccoli-Cheddar Quiche (made by Julia)
- 6 oz pie crust, 9-inch, refrigerated (I use the frozen Pillsbury deep dish crusts to save time)
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1/2 cup red onion(s), chopped
- 1 1/4 cup part-skim ricotta cheese
- 1 cup low-fat shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 large egg(s)
- 2 large egg white(s)
- 1 Tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp table salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper, freshly ground
- 10 oz frozen chopped broccoli, thawed and well-drained
- 1 Tbsp grated Parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 375ºF. Press pie crust into bottom and up sides of a 9-inch, removable-bottom tart pan or a 9-inch pie pan; refrigerate until ready to use.
- To make filling, heat oil in a small skillet over medium heat. Add onion and sauté until soft, about 3 minutes. Transfer onion to a large bowl and add ricotta cheese, cheddar cheese, egg, egg whites, mustard, oregano, salt and pepper; mix well and fold in broccoli. Spoon mixture into prepared crust and level surface with a wooden spoon; sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.
- Bake until a knife inserted near center comes out clean, about 35 to 40 minutes. Let stand 10 minutes before slicing into 8 pieces.