Sunday, April 15, 2007

Tart and sweet

Blueberry-Lemon Bread (made by Julia)
We love blueberry bread (I usually just use blueberry muffin mix) but I'm trying to learn to bake more things from scratch. This was an easy recipe and very tasty! I got it on allrecipes.com where I get most of my recipes. I love reading reviews from other people to get a good idea of how to tweak the recipe and get the best results. In this case I decreased the sugar to 3/4 cup to help the sweetness balance with the tart lemon flavor. I left off the sugary glaze because I wasn't really in the mood for it.




INGREDIENTS

  • 1/3 cup butter, melted
  • 1 cup white sugar
  • 1 lemon, juiced
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 cup milk
  • 2 tablespoons lemon zest
  • 1 cup fresh blueberries

  • 2 tablespoons lemon juice
  • 1/4 cup white sugar

DIRECTIONS

  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease and flour an 8x4 Inch loaf pan. In a medium bowl, mix flour, baking powder and salt together and set aside.
  2. In a large bowl, cream the butter and 1 cup sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, and beat well. Mix in the juice of 1 lemon. Add the flour mixture, alternating with the milk. Fold in the lemon zest and blueberries. Pour into prepared 8x4 inch loaf pan.
  3. Bake for 60 to 70 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the cake comes out clean. For the glaze, combine 1/4 cup sugar with 2 tablespoons lemon juice. Drizzle over cake while still warm.

No comments: